Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Global Warming That Strangely Appeared as Snow

That was the view from my front porch on Friday afternoon. Thats not fog, it's snow falling


It has been somewhat rough here for the past few days. There was about 15 inches of global warming…err…snowfall here beginning on Friday, December 18, and ending on Saturday, December 19.


The global warming…oops…snowfall….was so wet and heavy, that trees and power lines went down all over the western North Carolina area. Including my area. My lights went out at about 3:30 PM Friday after noon, and then power was restored about 6:00PM, only to go out again at 8:30PM. Power was not restored until sometime after 6:00PM Sunday evening.


My heart goes out to everyone who was without lights, water, or heat, for I was in your group. Fortunately, when the lights came back on at 6:00 PM Friday, I filled the bathtub, and other available vessels and utensils with water, “just in case“. “Just in case” happened, so I had water to drink, and used the bathtub water to flush the toilet.


Having no heat source at all, I wore my insulated camouflage hunting coveralls in the house, and slept in my sleeping bag that is rated for weather as cold as 15 degrees. As for food, I was given a fruit basket for Christmas last Thursday, and I had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Meager fare at best, but better than nothing. Especially when your two wheel drive truck will not travel in snow of this depth.


I was stuck at home from Friday through Tuesday, and was finally able to get out to work today, Wednesday December 23. I was actually glad to go to work today.

The way I look at it is, it could have been worse, and what doesn’t kill ya, only makes ya stronger.


Hats off to the people from Progress Energy who were here from all over North Carolina, South Carolina, and Kentucky to restore the power. I wouldn’t have their jobs for anything. Gotta be tough to work in all kinds of weather around the clock to make sure people have lights and heat. We never appreciate the power and the people who keep it going until something like this happens. Great job people!


I have posted a pic or two of the global warming…mmmm….I mean snowfall just so you can see how it looked from here.




This was how my truck looked Saturday morning. That's my landlord's RV that once was a bus in the background.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yeah, my power went out that Friday morning and didn't come back on til Monday night. I ate lunchmeat sandwiches out of the fridge for the first day and a half, then switched to peanut butter and jelly for the last 2 days.
I actually have a backpacking stove that had never failed me for 3 years - until the snow hit. Had my stove not chosen that moment to break, I think I would have been a bit more comfortable! Luckily, like you I had a cold weather sleeping bag as well as cold weather outdoor clothing.
Though I was prepared enough to be only slightly uncomfortable over the 4 days I was snowed in, this has definitely spurred me to make a slightly more comprehensive emergency kit. I went out a couple weeks ago and got a full repair kit for my stove! I'm considering buying a grill as well.
I found the number one issue I had during the outage was boredom, so I'll be filling my emergency kit with games, puzzles, and such for next time!